Essential oils are gaining popularity as an alternative treatment option since they are safe and effective for treating a broad range of health concerns, including weight loss, and this trend is expected to continue.
Since ancient times, people have been making use of essential oils.
Essential oils such as lemon, orange, lavender, and rose were shown to be beneficial in the treatment of anxiety, stress, and depression. Essential oils derived from ginger, grapefruit, and cinnamon were found to be beneficial in the treatment of overeating, improved digestion, and weight loss. Before using the best oils for weight loss, it is common practice to first mix a few drops of the oil with a carrier oil, such as sweet almond oil, coconut oil, or olive oil.
Essential oils may help people lose weight by either reducing their hunger or speeding up their metabolic rate, or by doing a mixture of both of these things.
The Five Most Important Essential Oils to Use When Losing Weight
There are five essential oils that, when combined with a nutritious, nutrient-dense diet and regular physical exercise, may pack the additional punch that is necessary for successful weight loss. Various oils like grapefruit essential oil and other oils for weight loss are discussed in this article.
Top 5 essential oils for weight loss
- Grapefruit Essential Oil:
It is one of the most effective essential oils used for weight control. Studies have found that a 15 minute exposure to grapefruit essential oil three times a week reduces appetite and body weight.
- It suppresses the appetite, lowers cravings and hunger, as a result of which the stomach is easily satiated.
- It contains a compound D-limonene, which helps to increase metabolism and break down body fat.
- It supports the cleansing and improves drainage of the lymphatic system which carries nutrients between the tissues and the bloodstream. This reduces cellulite and prevents bloating.
- It is also used as a detox to cleanse the body of toxins. It also reduces water retention.
- Lemon Essential Oil:
- Like grapefruit oil, it also boosts metabolism while suppressing appetite. It also improves digestive health.
- Helps to reduce stress. The tendency to overeat has a lot to do with stress levels. When we are under stress, our bodies release a variety of hormones that favour the storage of fat in the body leading to significant weight gain.
- As in grapefruit, lemon essential oil also contains the compound limonene which increases the body’s ability to burn fat.
- The high vitamin C content boosts collagen formation, firmness in muscles, fights infections, inhibits bacterial and viral growth, stops haemorrhages and increases elimination of toxins from the body.
- It improves energy levels.
- Reduces depression and uplifts mood.
- Cinnamon Essential Oil:
It helps regulate blood sugar and insulin levels, thereby aiding weight loss and reducing sugar cravings. When blood sugar levels are unstable, a person tends to overeat and gain weight. When there is too much sugar in the blood, the body increases the release of insulin to get sugar molecules into the cells. If the cells already have enough sugar for fuel, they cannot accept any additional sugar. Hence, insulin has to convert these excess sugar molecules into fat which is stored in the body.
- It reduces the risk of heart disease and inflammation, improves blood circulation.
- It helps to suppress appetite and boost metabolism.
- It reduces food cravings and improves digestion.
- Ginger Essential Oil:
- Supports digestion and the absorption of nutrients.
- A key compound in ginger oil, called gingerol, effectively reduces inflammation in the body and improves absorption of the vitamins and minerals.
- Reduces sugar cravings.
- Eliminates flatulence and helps to clear bowels.
- Promotes sweating, which helps remove toxins from the body.
- Improves brain and memory function.
- Peppermint Essential Oil:
- A natural energizer that boosts energy levels, reduces fatigue and helps the mind to focus.
- It curbs hunger pangs and can help to feel full faster.
- Improves the functioning of the digestive system and soothes upset stomach.
- The cooling sensation felt when used topically, provides pain relief, increases mental alertness, and promotes a more positive outlook on life.
- Helps to manage stress. This helps avoid the temptation of overeating when a person is under stress.
- It is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin C, iron, potassium, magnesium which are essential for the promotion of good health and for improving the metabolic processes of the body.
How to Use
Essential oils may be used topically, breathed, or consumed to achieve their effects. There are instances when many modalities of distribution are utilised in tandem.
On the skin, essential oils may be either administered topically or rubbed in. Essential oils include a variety of active compounds that may be taken into the bloodstream. The essential oil should be rubbed in for at least half an hour straight into the areas of the body that have excess fat or cellulite. The elimination of toxins and waste elements that have been accumulated in fat cells will be facilitated as a result of this.
To attain the maximum benefits, the essential oil may also be added to bath water and used as a body soak for at least 20 minutes. This is another way to utilise the oil.
The majority of the time, essential oils are used on the skin in conjunction with a carrier oil like coconut, sweet almond, or olive oil. Alternatively, essential oils may be found as an ingredient in lotions and other types of cosmetic products.
Inhaling essential oils causes the aromatic molecules to flow via the nasal passages, where they then have a chemical reaction with the brain. They have the ability to alter one’s disposition, energy level, and even hunger. Because the region of the brain that processes smell is the same region that controls feelings of hunger and fullness, using essential oils for weight loss may work by reducing feelings of hunger, speeding up the rate at which the body burns calories, or even doing a combination of both of these things.
Essential oils can be inhaled directly from the bottle, or by adding a few drops to a cotton ball or a fabric and slowly breathing in the vapours before a meal reduces appetite and helps to avoid overeating. Inhaling essential oils in this manner has been shown to be effective in reducing appetite and preventing excessive eating.
This use of essential oils has received a lot of criticism. In order to get the optimum benefits, add one or two drops of essential oil to 200 millilitres (ml) of water, tea, salad dressing, or a smoothie. It is recommended that you consume it first thing in the morning, either just after you wake up or before breakfast. This assists in getting the metabolism back on track once it has gotten off course.
Safety and Precautions
There are a few things you need to bear in mind, despite the fact that the usage of essential oils is not typically considered to be dangerous.
Ingestion of essential oils is not recommended. Because of the extreme potency of these oils, even a little amount, such as a few drops, might cause you to suffer from significant stomach distress. If you accidentally swallow essential oil and have a negative response, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Essential oils should never be used undiluted since they have the potential to irritate and cause inflammation. It is important to always do a patch test in order to evaluate how your skin will respond to the essential oil that has been diluted.
Before using this product, you should talk to your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or breastfeeding a baby.
When applying essential oils directly to your skin, you should also be sure to wear sunscreen. They have the potential to heighten your skin’s sensitivity to the sun and increase the likelihood that it will be burned.
Leave a Reply