The majority of individuals rarely give their roof a thought unless there is a leak!
Moreover, no roof is going to last a lifetime.
Although certain roofing issues can be quickly fixed, sometimes re-roofing becomes crucial.
Therefore, it may be necessary to contact roofing contractors Melbourne when warning signs such as leaks or curled shingles appear.
What is re-roofing?
Re-roofing is the process of updating or changing a building’s roof.
The two primary ways of re-roofing are tear-off and roof overlay.
- The overlay re-roofing technique keeps your current roof in place and adds shingles on top.
This is a temporary solution, and this method of re-roofing can make it more challenging to locate leaks inside your roof.
- The tear-off technique of roof replacement entails your roofing company removing your current roof and installing a brand-new one in its place.
This method of re-roofing will last a lot longer and totally replace any leaks or damaged decking in your roof. Also, it will increase the value of your house when you decide to sell it.
What are the benefits of re-roofing?
You do not want to undervalue the potential damage when it comes to powerful storms. So, you are strengthening your roof by adding a second layer of shingles.
Re-roofing helps offer an extra layer of protection over your house, which allows for putting off significant roof repairs.
Increase property value
A brand-new roof can significantly increase the value of a residential or business structure. So, re-roofing your home before deciding to sell it will increase the chances that the right buyer will be drawn to it.
Also, a new roof ensures that your roof complies with local health and safety requirements.
It is more affordable
Re-roofing is a pretty easy process because sometimes the first layer of shingles is not removed. The second layer is the only thing that has been added. Hence, the method requires fewer stages as a result.
As a result, this technique becomes much less expensive.
Re-roofing stops water leaks, prevents minor issues from becoming major ones, and improves the insulative properties of your home.
This decreases overall energy use, minimises future expensive repairs, and facilitates easy maintenance.
When do you need re-roofing?
It’s crucial to act and contact re-roofing contractors as soon as you know that your roof is damaged. Here are 4 indications that you require a new roof and should take action:
1. Visible leaks
An evident leak is one of the most obvious indicators that your property needs re-roofing.
Unfortunately, there are a variety of causes for roof leaks, from deteriorated construction to storm damage. Additionally, water may enter the house through the shingles as roofing materials deteriorate.
Hence, it is time to think about getting a new roof if you have any leaks in your roof.
2. Your roof is too old
To find out when the roof was last replaced, homeowners should look through their receipts and renovation records. Any roof’s lifespan will depend on the material it is built of.
For instance, copper can last 70 years, wood shakes and shingles can endure for 25 to 30 years, and asphalt shingle systems have 20 to 25 years’ lifespans.
So, homeowners can start planning for a new roof once that window has passed.
3. Damaged flashing
Flashing makes water-tight seals around penetrations like chimneys. It is generally made of steel or aluminium and can last up to 30 years. However, water can find its path into your residence through the chimney if flashing material cracks or rusts.
You can contact re-roofing contractors to check if your roof needs replacement or not.
4. Cracked shingles
It may be easy to see what appear to be cracks strewn across two or three tiles from the ground. However, those aren’t cracks.
In reality, they are tears caused by repeated heat expansion and contraction cycles.
The shingles become larger as the roof warms up in the sun. They shrink when the temperature drops. These tiles eventually start to tear, making them the main source of leaks and structural damage.
What does a roofing contractor do?
Effective roofing relies on cutting-edge material technology and an integrated system approach to safeguard your home.
Below is a list of the seven crucial steps involved in replacing a roof.
- Firstly, re-roofing contractors will ensure that your entire home is completely covered before roofing replacement. This involves the siding, walls, vegetation, bushes, and more.
- They will remove all the old shingles.
- Then, they will thoroughly inspect your roof, which includes wood decking, wood sheeting, missing nails, and other structures.
- They will prepare the roof surface for new shingles. It includes the installation of drip edge, water and ice shield, and roofing felt.
- Following the completion of the stages mentioned above and the readiness of the roof base, they begin laying down the new roofing material. They will work their way up, followed by installing step and counter flashing, ridge vents, and ridge capping, as necessary.
- Then, they will clean your site thoroughly.
- Finally, they perform a post-roofing inspection. This ensures that the job is satisfactory and meets your requirements.
It might be the correct time to invest in a roof replacement if the roof shows some signs of wear. It is crucial to hire the right roofing contractors Melbourne and have your re-roofing project done properly because it is a significant investment.