Becoming a yoga teacher comes with a lot of responsibilities beyond just teaching the poses. Becoming a teacher is a life changer and a wonderful resolution that will allow you to pass on a treasure trove of the ancient art of yoga to others. A “yoga teacher” is someone responsible for spreading the wisdom of yoga and becomes a certified yoga teacher, taking yoga teacher training as the first step. Yoga Teacher Training India (YTT), as it’s often called, is designed to provide the tools you need to teach others about the ancient practice of yoga, teach you to teach important life lessons to your students, and train you to become an accomplished teacher.
Tips to become a Successful Yoga Teacher/Trainer
- Be patient and persistent – The first thing you need to understand right away is that you don’t become successful and famous overnight. While there may be some rare success stories of international superstars who have achieved just that, for most of us it’s quite the opposite: it takes hard work, ringing bells, and constant effort to make the dream of being a successful teacher a reality in yoga.
- Choose the right YTT for you – There are so many types of exercise out there and finding the one that works best for you is very important. While all Yoga Alliance-certified Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikeshcover a specific foundation, different programs have different areas of focus. For example, some emphasize meditation and philosophy, while others focus on anatomy and fitness. Some are geared toward helping you deepen your practice, while others prioritize the basics of becoming a guru. With all the options, there’s sure to be a YTT for you, whatever you’re looking for.
- Ability to engage – It is very important that you can engage while doing yoga teacher training. You will put a lot of time and effort into learning yoga and practicing it every day, as well as anything else you may need to do. So, make sure your schedule allows it before signing up for a course. The more involved you are during your workout, the better results you’ll achieve when you’re done!
- Practice the lessons yourself – Plan the sequence and practice it yourself before teaching it. Speak loudly as if you have the group in front of you. Log in to find bugs. Judge your tone of voice and use of words to be consistent with the sequence.
- Be open about everything – Your yoga retreatwill likely contain a lot of new information, and some of it may challenge your beliefs. Whether it’s new alignment cues for poses you’re already “right” doing, esoteric concepts like the chakra system, or new practices like chanting and kriya, try to approach everything with an open mind. Be genuinely curious about what you’re learning and commit to trying things out for yourself before throwing them away.
- Don’t Stop Learning – Another aspect is your training as a yoga teacher: Invest in yourself and you’re training and broaden your horizons. Young Ho Kim warns that one of the biggest mistakes in yoga entrepreneurship is believing that you already know everything.
Need a yoga teacher training in Rishikesh You Can Trust?
Ekam Yogshala offers yoga retreatcourses for yoga students and teachers. If you’re just thinking about deepening your practice and are ready to jump into your first yoga teacher training, or if you’ve been teaching yoga for a while and are ready to brush up and polish, we have something for you. Our yoga teacher training in Rishikesh is designed to deepen your connection to yourself, your practice, and your community.
Devakar Sandhu likes to spread the awareness of yoga among people helping them to live healthy and without tension. He is also Founder of Ekam Yogashala, A Yoga Teacher Training School Based in Rishikesh. EKam Yogashala offers 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training India (Rishikesh, Kerala, Nepal and Dharamsala)